Inspiration From The Missouri Honor Medal Banquet

Last night I had the opportunity to attend the Missouri Honor Medal Ceremony and Banquet as a journalism ambassador for the Missouri School of Journalism. It was just as inspiring as I had remembered the first time to be.

The Missouri Honor Medal Banquet is held to honor some of the most outstanding journalists in the world. Since 1930, the Missouri School of Journalism has held this ceremony. Medalists are chosen on the "basis of lifetime or superior achievement, for distinguished service performed in such lines of journalistic endeavor."


The first time I attended the honor banquet was my freshman year here at Mizzou. I had eagerly jumped at the chance of writing an article on it for the school's newspaper The Maneater. I remember the overwhelming feeling of amazement rushing over me. I couldn't believe I was in the presence of some of the most successful journalists in the world. It was an honor that would stick with me throughout my years here at Mizzou.

The first article I wrote almost four years ago was a preview for the ceremony and class the honorees would teach. Click here to read "J-School Honors 10."

The second article covered the ceremony itself and touched upon a few stories on how the honorees had gotten into journalism. Click here to read "J School Honors Accomplished Professionals With Awards."

Last night I was able to meet all the medalists and chat with them for a few minutes after the ceremony and dinner. I can truly say the stories of the those at the Zeta newspaper in the Northwest region of Mexico and Ignacio Gomez from The Foundation For the Freedom of the Press in Colombia made me appreciate the ability we have in America to freely tell our stories without fearing for our lives. It touched me to hear their stories and their courage to push for freedom of the press in their countries. I don't believe too many people can say they have the courage to do this.

Here are a few photos from the ceremony:


From left to right, top row: MU Dean Mills, Co-Chairman Larry Postaer of Rubin Postaer & Associates, Founder and Director James Balog of Extreme Ice Survey and Earth Vision Trust, Ignacio Gomez, CNN founding financial editor and economic commentator Myron Kandel, journalist from Zeta Newspaper and MU Chancellor Brady Deaton.

From left to right, bottom row: Adela Navarro from Zeta Newspaper, former The Oregonian editor and now Harvard University Knight Shorenstein Fellow Sandy Rowe, Hearst Magazine Chairman and now (as of November) NYC School Chancellor Cathleen Black, and Wine Columnist and Author Dorothy J. Gaiter.



Here I am with Larry Postaer, Cathleen Black and Myron Kandel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Tara Grimes
Web Statistics